Medical waste, Category B
Medical or clinical wastes derived from the medical treatment of humans or animals or from bio-research, containing or consisting of human pathogens or zoonotic agents NOT listed as category A infectious substances (ADR 22.214.171.124.4.1).
- Clinical waste, unspecified, N.O.S.: UN 3291
- (Bio)medical waste, N.O.S.: UN 3291
- Regulated medical waste, N.O.S: UN 3291
|UN-Number||Name and description (proper shipping name)||Class||Packing instruction ADR||Bulk containers (ADR 126.96.36.199.2|
|3291||Clinical waste, unspecified, N.O.S. , or (Bio)medical waste, N.O.S. or Regulated medical waste, N.O.S.||6.2||P621 IBC620 LP621||BK2|
|3291||Clinical waste, unspecified, N.O.S. , or (Bio)medical waste, N.O.S. or Regulated medical waste, N.O.S. (in refrigerated liquid nitrogen)||6.2||P621 IBC620 LP621|
Medical waste must be packed according to Packing Instruction P621, IBC620 or LP621 (ADR) or PI620 (IATA), respectively:
The packaging has to be UN-certified.
- Rigid, leak-proof, break-proof packaging, with sufficient absorbent material included to absorb the entire amount of liquid present. The packaging has to be capable of retaining liquids.
- Packaging not to be reopened.
- Packaging intended to contain sharp objects such as broken glass and needles shall be resistant to puncture and retain liquids.
- The bulk transport of wastes is permitted according to ADR 188.8.131.52.2.
According to ADR:
- UN number and proper shipping name: UN3291, Clinical waste, unspecified, N.O.S; Biomedical waste, N.O.S. or regulated medical waste N.O.S.
- Name and address of consigner and consignee, phone number of responsible person.
- UN label for class 6.2, infectious substances.
According to VeVA, list of wastes, if more than 50 kg:
- «Sonderabfälle», «déchets spéciaux» or«rifiuti speciali».
- No. 18 01 03 for infectious waste according to the Ordinance on Movements of Waste (VeVA).
- For sharps: Add also No. 18 01 01 according to the Ordinance on Movements of Waste (VeVA).
- Number of transport document.
Dangerous goods transport document (ADR 5.4.1), including
- UN number preceded by the letter "UN" and by the word "Waste" (Waste, UN 3291)
- Proper shipping name (clinical waste, unspecified, n.o.s)
- Hazard class 6.2
- Total net quantity
- Name and address of the consigner and the consignee
- Name and phone number of a responsible person (ADR 184.108.40.206.4)
- Delivery note / (pro forma) invoice for customs
Waste of more than 50 kg: Transport document according to the Ordinance on Movements of Waste (VeVA), Annex I
If more than 333 kg: Instructions for carrier what to do in case of an accident (instructions in writing), ADR 5.4.3).
- Guideline on treatment of medical waste (FOEN 2004)
- Recommendation of the Swiss Expert Committee on the treatment and disposal of waste produced in contained systems
- Instructions in writing
- Transport document: Begleitschein für den Verkehr mit Sonderabfällen in der Schweiz, Document de suivi pour les mouvements de déchets spéciaux à l'intérieur de la Suisse
- Vollzugshilfe zur Entsorgung von Abfällen aus Einrichtungen des Gesundheitsdienstes, (LAGA 2015, D) (in German)