Category B infectious substances are human and animal pathogens not listed as Category A infectious substances (ADR 18.104.22.168.4.1 / IATA). They don’t cause permanent disability, life-threatening or fatal diseases in otherwise healthy humans or animals.
- Cultures, patient specimens and biological material containing or consisting of:
- - most bacteria and viruses of risk group 3,
- - all bacteria and viruses of risk group 2,
- - any other microorganisms (parasites, fungi etc.) causing disease in humans or animals.
- Patient specimens and biological material containing or consisting of Category A infectious substances marked with “cultures only” (ADR 22.214.171.124.4.1; only cultures of such organisms have to be transported as Category A).
Biological substance, Category B: UN 3373
|UN number||Proper shipping name||Class||Packing instruction ADR||Bulk containers (ADR 126.96.36.199)||Packing instruction IATA|
|3373||Biological substance, Category B||6.2||P650||-||PI650|
|3373||Biological substance, Category B (animal material only)||6.2||P650||BK1 BK2||PI650|
Category B samples must be packed according to Packing Instruction P650 (ADR) or PI650 (IATA), respectively.
- Packing Instruction P650
- Packing Instruction PI650 (air)
Both packing instructions require a triple packaging.
- leak-proof (for liquids, powders) primary receptacle(s);
- leak-proof (for liquids, powders) secondary packaging
- - for liquids: absorbent material between primary receptacle and secondary packaging to fully absorb liquid in case of leak or breakage;
- - when multiple fragile primary receptacles are placed in a single secondary packaging, they are either individually wrapped or separated to prevent contact between them.
Outer packaging with at least one surface having a minimum dimension of 100mm x 100mm.
Either the secondary or preferably the outer packaging has to be rigid.
Note: Substances packed and packages which are marked in accordance with packing instruction P650 are not subject to any other requirement of ADR.
Additionally for air transport:
- the primary receptacle or secondary packaging must be capable of withstanding an internal pressure of 95 kPa in the range of -40° C to 55° C, without leakage.
- for liquids: primary receptacle maximal 1 l, rigid outer packaging maximal 4 l.
- for solids: rigid outer packaging maximal 4 kg (expect body parts, organs and whole bodies).
- UN number and proper shipping name: UN 3373, Biological Substance, Category B (at least 6 mm high)
- Name and address of consigner and consignee
- Mark: diamond-shaped mark with minimum dimensions of 50mm by 50mm containing the UN number UN 3373 (at least 6 mm high)
- If solid carbon dioxide is used: ‘Carbon dioxide, solid’ as coolant
Note: A shipper's declaration for dangerous goods is not required for Category B infectious substances!
It is recommended to provide an itemized list of contents, e.g. between secondary packaging and outer packaging
Required permits, if applicable
Delivery note / (pro forma) invoice for customs
Additionally for air transport:
Air Waybill (form provided and filled out by carrier)
To the top
Last edition: 19.09.2019
Swiss Expert Committee for Biosafety (SECB)
Tel.: +41 (0)58 463 03 55
Tel.: +41 (0)58 463 23 12
Executive Office SECB
c/o Federal Office for the Environment