- Recommendations regarding the handling of genetically modified or pathogenic organisms
- Federal Coordination Centre for Biotechnology
- Classification of organisms (Federal Office for the Environment)
- Implementation guides for the use of organisms (Federal Office for the Environment)
- Import of human pathogens (Federal Office of Public Health)
If work is done with genetically modified, pathogenic or alien organisms in laboratories, production facilities, culture rooms, greenhouses or other contained systems, measures must be taken to protect humans and the environment. These measures are stipulated by the Containment Ordinance and the Ordinance on Occupational Safety in Biotechnology.
Those activities using genetically modified, pathogenic or alien organisms in which there is a moderate (class 3) or high (class 4) risk require authorisation. For the assessment of the applications, the federal authority responsible asks the SECB for its opinion. These statements are generally not made public.
The SECB also issues recommendations regarding the handling of such organisms. It comments on the hazard classification of organisms and assesses safety measures.
To the top
Last edition: 19.09.2019
Swiss Expert Committee for Biosafety (SECB)
Tel.: +41 (0)58 463 03 55
Tel.: +41 (0)58 463 23 12
Executive Office SECB
c/o Federal Office for the Environment